Wednesday, December 28, 2011

No 'poo for you!

I debated a *while* deciding whether, or not I discuss this openly.

I decided I'm really not going to volunteer this information...

"HI! My name is Kayla, and I haven't washed my hair in a week."
I am sharing this with my family, and most of my friends?

At least to the ones I think will understand...which makes me re-evaluate why I'm friends with those who I would worry about judging me...

Let's pretend I don't have "friends" like that...and discuss...

I'm on Day 5!
I've been documenting the process...notes here and there...tips I'm picking up from other people.

The only Negatives I see at this moment:
  1. Static!-Nothing a little water won't cure.
  2. "2nd day" dirty feeling.
  3. Muscle memory?

I wonder if my shampoo addiction is like Chris' former smoking addiction...he just didn't have to buy it anymore, and that was it.


There is still a bottle in the shower caddy, it's Chris'...My bubble bath also doubles as a shampoo, or so it says...resist. resist. resist!


I really have only missed it...twice...in 5 days. Once was on day 2, I just missed the routine. And today I was a little sad, but then I realized...I woke up with NO ACNE, and my scalp hasn't itched all dayyyyy!


The freedom, my greasy hair has allowed me so far! LOL


It's not all unicorns and rainbows, there's an adjustment period. That's what I'm going through right now, and It's gross. I won't lie.

My brushes get dirty quicker, because now they're pulling double duty. They're removing my hair of the lint/dirt/distributing oils...so a white buildup has appeared on a few of my brushes.


But that's okay! Nothing a little hot water, and a tiny bit of hand soap and a good comb can't cure. When I was cleaning the hair off of them, I found very little...So I wonder if that's because I'm losing less hair? Is that possible? I haven't heard anything else of that sort in any other review...


Everyone's experience is different though.


Here's my experience so far:

Shampoo-

I'm using 1 tbsp of baking soda per 8 oz hot water, shooken up in an old upcycled bottle. I'm using a dial handsoap bottle, with a pump. I find this easy to distribute onto my scalp this way. I massage it in, let it sit for a minute, and then rinse it completely out.

Conditioner-

Same mixture, but with apple cider vinegar (1tbsp:1cup) in an old bubble bath bottle, I just pour a bit on my hair, massage onto ends, let sit for a minute, rinse.


Day 1: Washed hair on 3rd day dirty hair. Completely rinsed out the cider vinegar (fearing the smell). Hair stayed in a ponytail all day. Had a few flakes/itchiness. Brushed hair out before bed, lots of static, kinda greasy at the roots, Feels really dry towards the ends. Better than expected! Looking forward to tomorrow.

Day 2: Christmas Day, definitely decided to wash again. Read a review last night about a lady doing the same thing. So, this inspired me to do two things; 1.) brush more often. 2.)really concentrate the baking soda mixture on my scalp/roots/bad spots that tends to flake. When I washed I did concentrate on my whole scalp, and the rinse with the cider vinegar was quick because I had overslept, and my parents were already here. I didn't, as thoroughly, rinse it out either...Kinda my choice. I combed the crap out of it, and then brushed it, but it still felt like 2nd day dirty hair. The ends were still extremely dry. Around 10 pm I decided to brush it again to distribute the oils...Still feels much oilier up top, and dryer at the bottom. My ends tangle really easily. The vinegar smell was not an issue with me. It does disappear when my hair is drying. Also the review I read stated the woman missed the scent of her girlie shampoos so, she would spray perfume on her brush and then brush her hair. I tried this method too before we went to eat lunch around 2 pm. Today I brushed my hair a total of 3 times. I pan to do some more before bed, and really concentrate on it. (Twice more before bed.) Making an effort to sleep with it down tonight, didn't do that the last two nights.

Day 3: A full 2 hours late for work so I didn't get to wash my hair. Brushed it before work, still had a few flakes from last night. I did the perfume "trick" with my brush, and put it up for work in a low bun. Brushed it again 6 hours later after getting home. Doesn't really feel that much dirtier than what I consider "2nd day dirty". Brushed before bed.

Day 4: I brushed and washed my hair today. Before washing it, it was gross. I didn't have a problem combing/brushing through it this morning (wet). I let it dry down, but ended up putting it in a clip at work. (I'm weak.) Brushed it after getting home, and wore it down for a bit. It's up again, but I try to brush it every time I go to the bathroom. I wonder if I should brush it so much right now? I know it's good to distribute the oils, but could I over do that? Still flaky.

Day 5: Woke up today with NO acne, or itchiness. How awesome is that? I don't even think I ever considered my hair/acne being linked together. Washed 2 combs, and 2 brushes I've been using. Didn't pick a lot of hair out of any of them...interesting.


I'm going to try some different things...

  • I'm going to boil the water for my "shampoo/conditioner" for my next batch. I think we have hard water here.
  • Going to focus the ACV on the ends of my hair only, not my scalp.
  • I'm going to get a shower cap, and try to wash my hair MAYBE every 3 days, work my way up to once a week?
  • Do a lemon juice rinse, to see how my hair reacts.
  • Concentrate on REALLY towel drying my hair after washing it.

I need a funnel, it'd make pouring the crap into the bottles SOOOO much easier. lol




A little background on my hair:

Naturally blonde, but I dye the shit out of it, and have since I was 12 years old.

I have SERIOUS scalp issues, total drag.

Very fine, limp, hair.

It can be baby soft and shiny when I wash it, but the very next day it's disgusting.



What inspired me to start doing this?

One word: Malachi.

I noticed the other day, that he has the same scalp issues that I did...I didn't get mine (or I guess realize it?) until I was in the 5th grade (way before I started dying my hair, asshole dermatologist guy.) and the only thing that helps it is some steroid shampoo thats over $200.00.

So...yeah...I don't want my son to have to go through what I did. My purpose (part of it anyway) is to prepare him, prepare him into being an excellent human being. Part of that requires he have self esteem, and I really feel like my scalp condition has robbed me of some of that growing up. I never enjoyed people playing with my hair, I didn't want them to discover my dirty secret.


But here it is. All of it. Out in the open.

Wish me luck! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment