Friday, September 16, 2011

Middle Class Rut.



I had these silly preconceived notions about living in the suburbs. I blame the show Desperate Housewives for setting me up for failure. So far there’s been no betrayal, no plane crash, no kid swapping…Not even a single barbecue.

There was this one card game once…but that was an accident…and awkward one.

I thought suburban utopia would be summers full of pool parties and barbecues, and autumn with fall festivals and the constant aroma of freshly baked yummy things. I thought I would get to know all the families and our kids would play and grow up together…yeah…I’m actually surrounded by old people.

I do not know if that’s the curse of buying too young? Is it my punishment for being successful and having good credit? Karma must be dyslexic these days…Or at least a little bit to me.

There is no Bree with outstanding etiquette and lavish dinner parties, where she dotes on every guest… No artistic Susan who was incredibly klutzy, but sweet…No rich Hispanic chick to go shopping with…The Hispanic chic that lives here is nice lol…No Lynette with her amazing husband Tom, minivan full of kids, career…I don’t have any of those, no friends for poker night, no play date down the street…and god damnit the dinner parties! Running from house to house without worrying about knocking, or locking the doors at night…

That’s what I get for fantasizing I suppose. I grew up living in the country so I never really had neighbors, we did but they were a mile down the road…and extremely old.

Oh well. We’re still young, and that’s probably part of the problem…

I did have a wonderful birthday! Chris had to work, so we’ll be formally celebrating on Sunday at Allure with friends...but last night I spent the entire evening with a really really dear friend…I’m so excited she’s back in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment